Friday, November 21, 2008

Friday Story: Our Fun Co-op

We had a co-op play yesterday. It was about Little House on the Prairie. I got all my lines memorized a week before the play. Here is two parts of the narrator:



Soon Mary and Laura liked going to school. They even attended their first party given by Nellie Oleson. In return, they had their own country party. Pa's wheat field was so very good. It would bring in so much money. But grasshoppers came in a glittering cloud and destroyed the crop. Pa had to go away to the East to find work there but he was soon home and it was Christmas Eve.



There were also haystacks which Mary and Laura were not supposed to play on, but they did. The Ingalls even celebrated Christmas in the dugout and the weather was very strange. It was called 'grasshopper weather.' When the weather grew warmer in the spring, Mary and Laura were about to begin a new adventure, on they were not sure they wanted to participate in.



And here is my third and last part, the teacher:



I see we have some new students today.



They made a mistake. They thought the teacher would be a girl but it was me and I'm not a girl. I'm a boy. So they changed it to Yes, Mister, instead of Yes, Ma'am.



(Yes, Mister. I'm Mary Ingalls and this is my sister Laura. Those are Annika's lines.)



That's just fine. I'll put your names into my book. Now let's hear you read.



(Mary reads a small passage from a McGuffey Reader. Laura just shakes her head. She doesn't know how to read. The teacher dismisses the class for recess.)



That's all my lines.



We made a fiddle out of bungee rope, a pencil, and a 96 ounce can. You poke a hole in the can, then put the bungee rope through, tie a knot, and at the part of the can where you would open it, open it up, rinse it out good, and then take duct tape and put it around the open edge so it won't scratch your floor. Then take the other end of the bungee rope and tie it to a pencil. Once that is done, hold the pencil with one hand and then put one foot on the can and then pull tight on the bungee rope, while holding on to the pencil, but not too tight, and then strum it. That is how you make a fiddle. You have to play it just right to make it sound like an oboe instead of a fiddle.



We went to the apple orchard field trip for Mommy's birthday. We picked about twenty pounds of apples. I'm surprised the paper bag didnt' rip! It was our second time touring Apple Ridge Orchard. They have their own cider press. They also have their own freezer. It smells so good in there! I wish our house could smell that good! We got to have a small wagon ride up a hill to the apple farm. They have their own assembly line. It washes the apples, sizes them, and puts them into a small, medium, or big size.



We made our own inventions in hands-on history. That's Mommy's class. I made a AT-TE from Star Wars: The Clone Wars.



We also had a Halloween party. In Mommy's classroom, they had a candle-making class out of wax beads a pipe-cleaner class where you could make a pumpkin or a black cat. There was also in Mommy's classroom a make-your-own-button craft. I was in that class and I made a button and I stamped on a silver spider. (And if you've ever heard of the book, The Silver Spider, Daddy wanted to read it to me, and Mommy said no, and I don't think I was ready for it, either.) In Sandy's and Valerie's room, they had a braiding class and you made a ghost out of some yarn and kleenexes and marker to make a face. Step one: take one kleenex, ball it up. Step two: unfold the kleenex, and then put it over balled-up kleenex. Twist it just a tad, maybe, but not too much so the kleenex rips. Take about a three inch piece of yarn, tie it around, then cut off the extra. Step three: take a marker and draw the face. I really liked the Halloween party.

No comments: